All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, February 22, 2010

happy birthday cupcakes!


February is a big month in our family for birthdays - it's even my blog's birthday! Feeling in a festive mood, I whipped up some of these sour cream cupcakes with my favorite pink frosting, then gave them away to friends. It must be the child in all of us, because everyone chuckled and smiled as I gave them out. So what better way to celebrate February? And if I could hand one to Bode Miller and the rest of our Olympic medal winners, I would. It's been an exciting Olympics and I'm proud of our team!
To make about 15 medium cupcakes:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups King Arthur flour
1 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 cup sour cream, room temp
2 t. vanilla
**************************************************************
Preheat oven to 350F.
Place paper liners in medium cupcake tins.
**********
Cream the butter and sugar and beat until fluffy and light.
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg is added.
Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together, then add to the butter and sugar mixture.
Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat briefly.
Using a regular size ice cream scoop, place scoop of dough into each paper liner.
Bake about 35 minutes, or until golden on top and gently firm on top - or you can use a kebab stick to insert in the middle of a cupcake. It should come out clean.
Remove to cooling rack for a few minutes, then remove cupcakes from tin to another cooling rack. The cupcakes need to be completely cool before frosting.
***************************************************************
The Frosting:
one 8 oz. bar of cream cheese, room temp
2 sticks unsalted, room temperature butter
1 box confectioner's sugar
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. vanilla
Decors and sprinkles for tops
Beat all ingredients until smooth and creamy, then scoop into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Starting at the outside of each cupcake, swirl the frosting generously onto cupcakes.
Enjoy - and Happy Birthday to all you February babies!

********************************************************
What I'm reading:

10 comments:

Maria said...

Yea for Feb. birthdays!!! My b-day is in Feb too:) The cupcakes are super cute!

katrina said...

Oops - did I forget to wish you a Happy Birthday? If I did, here's a toot from a party horn!
February birthdays often come along with cabin fever in snow country, but it makes the celebration even more sweet.
Love your cc cookies!

Barb said...

Hey Miss Katrina ~

Happy Birthday!!! (Feb. 24)

I hope you have a wonderful, joyful and very happy day and a fabulous year ahead!! (those cupcakes look like a great way to get the party started!)

katrina said...

How on earth did you know, Barb? Yes indeedy - tomorrow is my birthday and I'm already scheduled for a tea party on Saturday with a certain just-turned-4 year old! Thank you so much for the toot on the old party horn! I intend to have a fabulous day (in the middle of a snowstorm).

Marianne said...

Love your blog, Katrina! And I love the way you swirled the pink frosting on those cupcakes. I'll have to break my no bake rule and make a batch of them. They're so pretty and festive. Just right for a birthday party!!! Or a tea party! Happy Birthday!

Sonia said...

They not only sound yummy....they look delish!

katrina said...

Thanks, Marianne and Sonia! Delighted you enjoyed the cupcakes just as much as I do, and many thanks for the birthday shout-outs!

Anonymous said...

Using this recipe for our 4th of July cake even as I type! - love from Ana

katrina said...

Oh, how wonderful, Ana! Hope your Fourth is sparkling and delicious !

Unknown said...

Your cakes all look fabulous! I am a eager cupcaker myself, but no where near as great looking as yours. Great blog!

Micky
http://micklesmind.blogspot.co.uk/