All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Thursday, February 4, 2010

iced oatmeal cookies with roasted walnuts and milk icing





It's been a long time since we had a snowstorm - not that I'm complaining! Just above you can see the busy traffic to the birdfeeder, along with some litter from the trees after a windy day. At 6 am I was in the kitchen ( of course), sipping on coffee and thinking about how good a cookie would taste. At that hour, I'm not usually thinking about chocolate, but a bowl of oatmeal or an omelet. Oatmeal/cookie, oatmeal - oh, oatmeal cookies!
The second photo shows what I usually make: oatmeal cookies with raisins, which are delicious, but somewhat plain. I roasted some walnuts and added a drizzle of milk icing and voila! Fancy cookies .
This makes about 10 large cookies.
Adapted from the Silver Palate Cookbook
Line two baking sheets with parchment or foil.
Preheat oven to 350F.
1 1/2 sticks unsalted, room temperature butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
2 T. water
1 t. vanilla
2/3 cup King Arthur flour
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
3 cups rolled oats ( not instant)
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted in the oven briefly
Milk icing:
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
milk
Add milk slowly by teaspoons, whisking smooth. Using a fork, scoop up icing and drizzle on cooled cookies . The texture should be not too thinned, not too thick.
To make cookies:
In mixer bowl, cream the butter and both sugars until creamy.
Add the egg and mix again, then add the water and vanilla.
Add the flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda and mix again.
Add the oats, the raisins, and the toasted walnuts and mix until well combined.
Using a regular sized ice cream scoop, scoop out cookies, 6 to a sheet.
Gently press balls of dough to flatten slightly.
Bake in 350F oven for around 20 minutes, baking one sheet at a time in the upper third of the oven.
Let cool slightly, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Ice with drizzles of milk icing.


8 comments:

Barb said...

"Give me cookies!" to quote Cookie Monster (I think!)

You were quite inspired at 6:00am. Thank you for a great idea - I think the icing just might be the perfect topping for these cookies. Yummmmmmmm!

katrina said...

Merci,Barb! I was visiting our older friends, you know, the ones who state fave foods are "cookies"! They sure have a sweet tooth, and I have to admit adding the icing sure perks things up. I gave a cookie to my favorite 18 year old who works at the village market, and he gave me a thumbs up - so I think the milk icing is a hit. We need a little treat ( ie: sugar) in February, right?

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Ah, these look like pure comfort. Oh, and I think its perfectly acceptable to be thinking of cookies at 6am :) I'm really craving these yummy cookies!!

katrina said...

Bonjour, Triple S! The best part about these cookies is thinking you're eating healthy - three cups of oats, for heaven's sake! So a little sugar drizzle is just fine:)

Christiana said...

I just found your blog and its wonderful! I have started 'following' it. Oatmeal cookies are one of my favorite cookies ever, just so delicious. I recently just started my own blog and hope you could take a look at it and let me know what you think!

http://petittreat.blogspot.com/

Christiana

Michelle said...

Like the idea of icing on an oatmeal cookie! Silver Palate is one of my favortie cookbooks!

katrina said...

Hey Michelle!
I do love Silver Palate! The recipe called for instant oats, but I like it much better with rolled, old fashioned oats. And who doesn't like a little icing on their cookies? Thanks for the swing-by!

katrina said...

Christiana - thanks for the kind words - and I love your blog! It makes me instantly hungry for those "petit " treats...