All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, May 22, 2011

double chocolate cookies with chile















Rain, cold, rain, pollen, mist , scattered showers. Is it any wonder I woke up with a fierce hankering for chocolate? Forget the toasted pecans - let's chop up this nice bittersweet chocolate bar and throw the whole thing in, so the cookies have those melted chunks of chocolate when you break it in half. Maybe if I toss in some chiles I won't need to put on another sweater.


Ah......that's better:)






Makes about 10 medium large cookies, using a 2" ice cream scoop.


From The Cookie Book by Peggy Cullen


Preheat oven to 350F.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment or foil.

To make:


1 stick ( 8 T.) soft unsalted butter

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 t. kosher salt

1 t. vanilla

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli)

1 extra large egg

1 cup King Arthur flour all purpose

1/2 t. baking soda

1/2 t. cayenne pepper ( optional)

1 4 oz. bar of Ghirardelli 60% cacao chocolate, chopped


Beat the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla well in mixer bowl. Beat in the cocoa, and then the egg. Add the flour, cayenne, and baking soda and mix well. Add the chopped chocolate and mix again.


Using an ice cream scoop, scoop up batter and place on cookie sheet. They don't spread a lot, so 2 or 3 inches apart is fine.


Bake for 11 minutes, let cool for five minutes before removing cookies to cooling rack.




You might also enjoy:















6 comments:

Barb said...

mmmmmmmm! Look wonderful. I've had choc. chip cookies with cinnamon added (delicious!), but a bit of cayenne sounds pretty interesting, too. Next batch I'll try to remember to add a bit.

(Love your photos!)

katrina said...

Ooooo - why haven't I ever made chocolate cookies with cinnamon? I have made Mexican chocolate scones, but not cookies. Now you got me going.....but no more cookies! After warming up another cookie for breakfast dessert, I packed them up and took them to the staff at the post office.
And thanks for your always kind words, Barb ♥

Barb said...

I think the staff at your post office is probably the luckiest bunch of postal workers.

katrina said...

They are such lovely people - and I'll never forget the ice storm - no power, no heat, and there they were in coats and gloves, sorting the mail, for a week; holding down the fort with a smile and a warm greeting. They deserve cookies!

Frazzled said...

You are my Julia Child.
I've made a few of the recipes you've posted and I have found my love of cooking once again. Thank You.

katrina said...

Aww, thank you, Frazzled! You just made my morning - sweet you.