All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Friday, March 9, 2012

real quick strawberry jam





I used the last of the summer jam last week, always a sad moment. The next day I snipped all the tiny Calamondin oranges off of my very large indoor tree, intending to make marmalade. Somehow, I never did get around to it, but coming across the bag of washed oranges and the two boxes of strawberries I got on sale made me wonder. Could I? Should I? Oh, why not?
So I did .

This is a wonderful recipe for a few pots of jam that can be made quickly, without making a big all-day production of it. Because I make the jam for immediate use, I don't worry about the lids sealing ( though they did) - they go right in the fridge for my morning yogurt topping. And I still have enough oranges for a few jars of marmalade! It's easy to throw in a little fresh ginger, or rosemary, or a handful of some delicious fruits to make this your own really amazing and unique jam ( think cranberries or raspberries).

To make the jam:

I used one large mason jar and one very small, with proper rubber lined lids.

Simmer the jars and lids you're using in a pot of water for ten minutes, then, using clean tongs, turn them upside down on a clean dishtowel.

2 cups hulled strawberries ( 2 1/2 cups strawberries if you're not using the oranges)
1/2 cup finely sliced Calamondin oranges, or any other thin skinned orange
juice from two fresh lemons
1 3/4 cups sugar

Mash the berries and oranges briefly in the pot, add the lemon juice, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not let it burn.

Add the sugar and stir well, increase the heat a little bit, and continue to cook the jam, stirring constantly until a bit of jam tipped from the side of a wooden spoon thickens and is slow to drip. If you're using a candy/jam thermometer, this is the soft ball stage.

Turn the jam jars upright and ladle the jam into the jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headroom.
Screw the lids on tightly and let sit to cool. You'll hear the jar lids pop as they cool - that just means the seal is working. Since you"re using this right away, you don't have to worry about the seal - just cool and place in the fridge.

How I use this:

as a topping for Greek yogurt
on toast and muffins
stirred into warm oatmeal
a tablespoon goes into a coconut water or soymilk smoothie
a teaspoon swirled on top of an omelet, then quickly rolled up
as a crepe filling
breadstick dipping sauce
brushed on grilled chicken just before serving
as a filling for thumbprint cookies

How would you use it?

Enjoy!








1 comment:

katrina said...

Apologies to those who couldn't leave a comment:(