All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Thursday, November 15, 2012

a different chocolate-chip cookie



Yesterday was the first REALLY chilly day - frost on the windshield, a puffy jacket for my walk, and while it warmed up to the 40's during the day, I felt the onset of winter coming.  The first thing I did when I got home in the afternoon was march straight to the kitchen, to make chocolate chip cookies.  Maybe cranberry chocolate chip cookies?  I got out the ingredients , heaved a sigh, and went to the computer.  I was longing for a change in the cookie department, so I went to Pinterest , and then TasteSpotting to browse. 






Eureka!  I still can't remember where I found it, but this Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Shortbread cookie from The View from the Great Island grabbed my attention.  I love the buttery flakes of shortbread cookies, and this one had peanut butter AND milk chocolate chips to boot.  And I tell you, friends, this is a fine, fine cookie.

Sue kindly gave me permission to use her recipe, but I made one very large change to her directions.  It being late at night, and me in the mood for a fat cookie, I used an ice cream scoop and made seven enormous fat cookies, instead of her small ones.  And I didn't chill it, either - the anticipation was too great.  I advise you to read both recipes and decide which to make.

Sue's Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Shortbread cookies:

Preheat oven to 350F.
Line a baking sheet with clean foil.  

1 stick unsalted, room temperature butter
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 t. vanilla
1 1/4 cups King Arthur all purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 t. kosher salt
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
chopped pecans for the tops- and next time, I'm going to try a sprinkle of Maldon salt flakes, too.

Cream the butter and peanut butter , then add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

Using a standard ice cream scoop ( or you can form balls of dough with your well-washed hands), press the dough gently into the scoop, then place on baking sheet.  For me, this made seven large fat cookies.  They don't spread much, so you don't need to worry about spreading.

Sprinkle chopped pecans on top of the cookies, place in hot oven, and bake for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and carefully slide a spatula under each cookie and place on cooling rack.  They take a while to cool, because they're so fat, so don't be tempted to take a huge bite - and burn your tongue.

Enjoy, and thanks, Sue!

Update!  I've now made 5 or 6 batches of these cookies and found that if you use a 1 1/2 inch cookie dough/ice cream scoop, it will make 12 or 13 cookies.  Bake for 20 minutes, then cool.  I top half the cookies with Maldon flaked salt, the other half with chopped pecans.  Such a winner of a recipe, everyone loves them!

7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I favor that blog too..and any variation on a shortbread.Peanut butter is one of the ones...I have not made:-)
Thank you Katrina:-)

katrina said...

Nana, you are going to LOVE these cookies!

Barb said...

I was kind of surprised that you wrote that this only made 7 cookies. Then I noticed only 6 cookies in your photo!! Ahhhh - of course, taste-testing!!

Shortbread? Peanut butter? Chocolate chips? My photo would probably only have a couple cookies in it.

Thanks, Katrina, for sharing this bit of delicious-ness.

katrina said...

Barb, you caught me! Yes - I even tried to eat that cookie when it was hot:)
Soooo good.

elizabeth said...

Can I use natural pb, like Adam's, or does it have to be the skippy/jiff type?

katrina said...

elizabeth - I used Skippy smooth, just because I had it on hand.

katrina said...

Here it is, 2016 - can you believe it? I just made these cookies again. I found that using a 1 and 1/2 inch scoop made a dozen cookies. I used Skippy peanut butter, because I forgot to buy the natural for testing. Gosh, they are delicious! Just make sure you let them cool for one hour.