All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, November 25, 2012

the days after






I am still enjoying all the pleasures of our leftovers, including this simple soup, another one with pasta, spinach, thyme, roasted turkey and turkey stock, and chickpeas .  The soup pot is always going, nice to share with family and friends ~

My camera got so excited by our dinner it went on the blink, but a replacement is winging its way to me.......hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  And now I hear *snow* is on the way!



Here is Mr. Turkey just before going into a 340F oven:  I stuffed him with celery, leeks, rosemary, half a lemon, and lots of thyme then dipped two pieces of cheesecloth into a melted butter/olive oil mixture,  and covered him up carefully, basting several times during the 4 hours roasting.  I'm not sure what his weight was - I threw away the wrapper the night before when I washed him and stuck him into the fridge.  I tried weighing him on my scale, but it said he was either 12 pounds - or 16:)  I learned this cheesecloth method from my Baltimore-born stepmother, and it results in a perfectly moist turkey.  I tried a Jenny-O fresh turkey this year and was very happy with it.  I would have loved a local turkey, but it was just too expensive for my budget.



And here is my daughter digging into the creamed onions!  Boy, those went fast - I think I got one:)

9 comments:

diaryofatomato said...

We've had Thanksgiving at other people's houses for so long, I feel I've lost my turkey roasting mojo...

katrina said...

Oh no, Diary of a tomato! No leftovers? No generous boxes of leftovers for friends and children? Well, when you finally do take the leap , highly recommend the cheesecloth method:)

Barb said...

I love the photo of your daughter with the creamed onions! It's definitely a 'keeper' (as is your daughter, I'm sure!)

I think it sounds like you had a lovely Thanksgiving and Good Luck with the new camera!

katrina said...

Thanks, Barb! It was so funny when I went for the creamed onions, and there was one half of one left:) The little kids ate everything and my daughter and daughter-in-law took home anything I could hand them:) Hope your Thanksgiving was peaceful and joyful with family!

Barb said...

One half of one left????? i had to laugh at that!

Don't you just love it that nobody wants to take the last piece of anything. Your family was very generous to leave you a tiny taste! A Thanksgiving to remember.

Jackie said...

so happy to discover your lovely blog! the soup sounds delicious--inspires me to use chickpeas, pasta, spinach and thyme in my next soup creation.

(no Thanksgiving leftovers here:)

katrina said...

Thanks for the thumbs up, Jackie - love those particular foods and spices especially in the winter, delighted you agree - and happy cooking!

kellypea said...

I love that last photo -- I have something similar from a couple of my boys :) Yummy soup!

katrina said...

Kids being silly:) It's always nice to have your food appreciated, right, Kelly?:)