All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, November 18, 2012

roasted squash quarters with arugula, goat cheese, and pomegranate


(click on photo to see a beautiful closeup)

Ever since I saw a photo of this from Gourmande in the Kitchen on Pinterest, I've been longing to make it, or a version of it.  I was going to make it for Thanksgiving, but a birthday lunch suddenly materialized, and made it I did.  

Oh, MY.   It was delicious to look at, delicious to eat.  My recipe is a little different, adding the fresh pomegranate juice to the reduction and glowing juicy pomegranate kernels, but basically the same.  This is the prettiest, easiest vegetable side that just begs to be on your Thanksgiving table.   Amazingly, the kids (2 years and 6 years) loved it!

To make you will need:

2 acorn squashes, cut into quarters and seeded
a little olive oil
baby arugula
goat cheese
a fresh pomegranate, split
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons of squeezed fresh juice from above pomegranate
1 T. honey
salt as desired

Preheat oven to 400F.

Drizzle olive oil on a baking sheet.  Rub the cut edges of the squash in the oil, then arrange fairly tightly together on the baking sheet.

Roast until the squash pieces are soft, remove from oven to cool.

In a small saucepan, simmer the vinegar, pomegranate juice , and honey until it is reduced to almost a syrup.  Remove from heat.

Assemble the squash on a long platter, or on individual plates:

Drizzle about a teaspoon of the sauce in the middle of each squash quarter.
Add a small handful of the arugula on top of the sauce.
Using a fork or your fingers, place small chunks of goat cheese on top of the arugula.
Sprinkle with fresh pomegranate seeds.

Happy eating, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!



11 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I want to make this now:-)
And you are right..close up..it is even more beautiful:-)

katrina said...

Thank you, Nana! Blogger changed something about the photo upload, so if it's large it cuts off some of the photo.
This is SUCH a tasty salad/side - I knew you'd love it:)

Marianne said...

Truly spectacular, Katrina! I am wondering how long it takes to roast the squash. Also, what did you serve this with? Happy Thanksgiving wishes to you, too!

katrina said...

Marianne - I served it with a rosemary roasted chicken and sweet potatoes. I had two smallish squashes, cut into 9 pieces (one quarter was too big) - roasting took I think 20-25 mins, but I forgot to write it down - just til the squash is soft and the sides that are lying against the bottom of the pan are a nice brown. Our dessert was my pumpkin cake dressed up as a birthday cake. Glad you liked!

Sue/the view from great island said...

My daughter called me last night asking for idea for using acorn squash and I was coming up blank...if I'd only seen this! Very creative and it looks so healthy!

katrinahall said...

Delicious, healthy and pretty, Sue - thanks ! Maybe you still have time to email her this link?

diary of a tomato said...

Gorgeous! Love how we can see you in reflected in the rim of the plate... Have a great Thanksgiving, this most quintessential of New England holidays!

Barb said...

Yummmm! What a delicious idea for squash! You always share the best ideas - thank you so much!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Katrina, and to your family and friends!

katrina said...

diary of a tomato - can you really? I looked but only saw a teeny reflection - obviously your eyes are better than mine:) Happy Thanksgiving to you, with your feast from the garden!

katrina said...

Thanks, Barb - and I wish you and your family the same. So happy you loved that squash as much as I do - it really was a revelation to eat, yum, yum.

RSA Australia said...

This is perfect for my birthday bush!