All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, April 11, 2015

egg salad sandwiches with celery, parsley and horseradish





Easter is one of my favorite holidays - and not because of chocolate rabbits.  Oh, no, it's all about eggs, which I love more than any food group you could imagine.  Eggs.  Egg salad.  Omelets, frittatas, soft-boiled, hard-boiled, fried, poached, quiches, you name it, I love it.  So you can imagine how I felt when I saw this post from Smitten Kitchen about the lowly simple hard-boiled egg sandwich.  

I read the post, but forgot to write down the recipe - instead soaring off to my own dreamland of egg.  Later I checked it and was surprised that Deb didn't use mayo, and I had also switched out horseradish for her dijon, but no matter - it was delicious.  Lots of parsley, and her pickled celery and red onion topping was inspired.

You will need:

2 hard-boiled eggs
2 tablespoons of minced celery
2 tablespoons minced red onion
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
1/2 teaspoon bottled horseradish
2 pinches of kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon Hellmann's mayonaise 

Hard boil two eggs for 10 minutes, pour off the water, then cover the eggs with cold water.  Set aside.

In a bowl, add the vinegar, sugar, water, and salt and whisk.  Add the minced celery and red onion and let sit for 20 minutes or more, then drain the celery and red onion and discard the vinegar water.

Peel the eggs and then mash the hard boiled eggs and scoop into a bowl.

Add the vinegared celery/red onion mixture, then add the horseradish, the parsley, the mayo, and the egg mixture.

Mound onto a slice of good bread, or a nice ciabatta roll, and top with arugula, if you have ( I did not).  Is that heaven or what?



10 comments:

handmade by amalia said...

What a delicious looking sandwich! Could I have one with a cup of coffee for my lunch? I would be so happy.
Amalia
xo

La Table De Nana said...

We love eggs too Katrina.never even thought of adding horseradish!

katrina said...

Thank you, Amalia and Nana - delighted you liked this messy-but-yummy sandwich!

Nana - wasn't in the mood for dijon, so second pick was horseradish - I liked the balance-with-a-little-bite.

La Table De Nana said...

Loved CTM..I cry every episode..and more than once..Not sobbing..but I am sure you know what I mean..
I even voiced out loud:"those girls are so mean".. the squalor where that poor Irish lady had the baby..thrilled when she got a home..
And what a heavy beginning for the family of the man.
I sure love a full house standing ovation applause..different tears..:)

katrina said...

Agree with all you said, Nana. In reading about the Irish in England (and Boston ) NO IRISH NEED APPLY. Heartbreaking. And the husband battling his homosexuality , oh, that did me in. I forgot that it was a crime to be gay in England until very recently. And the end! Waterworks:)

Barb said...

Ahh - eggs. I love them too. My first word was egg (before mama or dada!!). LOL!

It's been crazy for me the last month - my Mom fell and cracked 3 ribs!! Yikes! She's doing pretty well but I am very busy helping her now.

katrina said...

Oh, Barb - I am so sorry to hear ! I can't imagine the pain she must have, and I am so relieved she has you to help her.
Love that "egg" was your first word!
Hope your Mom improves and heal quickly..

Anonymous said...

This was a liquid disaster. The amounts of water and vinegar make this a soupy mess unfit for a sandwich.

Katrina said...

Oh, no, Anonymous! Now will try the recipe again as soon as possible - am down with a cold right now.

katrina said...

Anon - you were supposed to drain the celery and onion after letting it sit in the vinegar water - right in the directions. I made it just now and it was fine.