All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, January 4, 2009

one minute creme fraiche





I'm still celebrating Christmas, thanks to the ice storm we had. My delightful French friend from Normandy surprised me with a deep green caramelized onion and fresh pea soup ( I'll have to get the recipe, absolutely!) served with this homemade creme fraiche.
I tasted and raised my eyebrows - deliciously tangy but smooth, perfect creamy texture - where did she find this? And Mme. B. pulled a jar from her fridge, offered me a spoon, and tossed off the recipe.
You will need:
1 clean jar
1 small container of heavy cream ( 1 cup)
1 small container of sour cream ( 1 cup)
And that's it.
Pour the cream into the jar, add the sour cream, twist on the lid - and shake hard. Leave the jar at room temperature for about 24 hours and stir. Store in the fridge for up to a week.
Use as thickener or swirls in soups, in dips, as a topping for fresh fruit compote - I'm sure you can come up with a million uses.
And the clementines? Just so pretty with the sun shining on them .

No comments: