All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Monday, January 19, 2009

snow and sweet rolls









Like many people, I've been glued to the television and the computer, watching the goings on for the inauguration and Martin Luther King Day. It's hugely emotional and exciting: the unrolling of reels and pictures from my own childhood times, right up to the present - watching our President-elect and First Lady rocking to Stevie Wonder.
Is it any wonder this morning I pulled out a recipe from the newspaper for "buttermilk-cinnamon rolls" from Far Land Provisions, Provincetown, Ma. ( and one of my hometowns)? And, ohhh, am I glad I tried these, because they are delicious! Fluffy, tender - and with a hint of fresh oranges, the only change I made to the recipe.
Now that I'm fortified, I can go out and shovel some more of the fresh snow that fell during the night. I know you'll enjoy these!
To make:
Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a round pan with high edges - I use an 8"x2" pan.
2 3/4 cups King Arthur flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 T. sugar
grated zest of an orange
6 T. unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk
In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Sprinkle in the orange zest.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter and pour in the buttermilk. Remove from heat.
Stir the buttermilk/butter mix into the flour bowl and stir with a fork until it forms a ball.
Sprinkle the counter with a little flour, and knead the dough a little. Shape dough into a rectangle measuring about 7"x12".
The Filling:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. cloves
4 T. melted unsalted butter
Mix the sugars and spices together. Brush the dough with the melted butter and sprinkle the filling almost to the edges. Roll up the long side so it forms a long roll. Cut the roll in half, then half again. Cut each piece two more times, so you have 12 rolls.
Fit the rolls into the greased pan, and brush with the rest of the butter.
Bake for about 30 minutes, or until rolls are firm and slightly browned. While still hot, drizzle with glaze. Save some glaze for dipping using a small shotglass or bowl.
Glaze:
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
2 T. fresh orange juice
When the rolls have cooled about 5 minutes, cover with a cooling rack and tap pan. The rolls should fall out easily. Cover the unside down rolls with another cooling rack, and flip right side up. Pull apart and serve with a little dipping glaze.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look delicious! When my youngest was small, cinnamon rolls were his favorite food so I made them weekly. Your photos take me back to a very sweet time.

Anonymous said...

You are killing me!! I love cinnamon rolls!!!, but I think I'd better stick with the sweet potato sticks (if you know what I mean).

Of course, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to have the strength to shovel, so...

Anonymous said...

What a good mama you were, Donna! I carried a few of these next door, to two small boys - who promptly came back and knocked on my door, looking for more. I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of them! Happy this reminded you of those sweet days...

Anonymous said...

Oops - sorry Barb! I have no idea what got into me today - but here I am, hours later, regretting eating three of these delicious ( but not exactly diet food) rolls. Smart girl, sticking to sweet potato sticks!
Must've been all that exertion snow shoveling that addled my brain - that, and all that excitement with the inauguration...

Maris said...

These look delicious, I wish I had some of these waiting for me when I woke up to snow this morning!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Maris! That would be a treat to have hot, strong, delicious coffee and these rolls delivered right to your bedside, wouldn't it?

Becky said...

Those look delicious. And I see you served them on a Fiesta plate, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky! I love the colors of Fiestaware, but it's tricky to get food to look inviting sometimes...