All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Friday, March 20, 2009

cream scones with toasted walnuts and currants


When I saw my friend Barry the other day, he had just arrived back from California, looking healthy and tanned. As usual, our conversation leaned toward food, and he raved about some toasted walnut and currant scones he'd tasted there. I mulled it over and started tinkering in the kitchen, deciding to go with a cream scone instead of my usual buttermilk scone. Pleased to say the first recipe that came out of the oven was just perfect - tender, a little sweet, but not overly so, and chock full of that lovely walnut and currant richness. These would be perfect for a special breakfast or brunch!
To make:
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted in a toaster oven briefly
1/2 cup dried currants, plumped in a tablespoon of boiling water
2 cups King Arthur flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg or about 6 scrapings fresh
4 T. unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 extra large egg
2 t. vanilla
Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
In mixer bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and sugar.
Add the small pieces of butter and mix until distributed evenly with the flour .
Add the egg, cream, and vanilla and mix briefly.
Add the toasted walnuts ( reserve a few for the top) and the currants.
Mix briefly again and remove from bowl.
Knead lightly and form into an 8 or 9 inch circle.
Cut circle in half, and each half into thirds, so you have 6 pieces altogether. Sprinkle a few pieces of walnut on tops of scones.
Arrange triangles on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove and cool. Though this doesn't need adornment, you can put out fruit preserves and sweet butter.
Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound heavenly, and I, too have experimented with both cream and buttermilk when making scones. I love your walnut currant combo, but I'm a complete sucker for anything with walnuts. Nice recipe!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, kelly - did you prefer the cream? I think it's a more tender scone ( gasp) - but I loves me buttermilk recipe, too.

Anonymous said...

This looks heavenly - all your recipes look so delicious. Will I see this on Tastespotting soon? I think so.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb! Hummmm, didn't even think of that this post - I'm using a new camera I don't like much and think the photos are not thrilling. Usually, TS agrees, so we'll see. The scones were awesome, by the way!

csr said...

Those look great! Frank from King Arthur Flour, baker/blogger.

Anonymous said...

Frank, darlin'! I've missed you! Heard you have lots of new scone mixes over there at KA.

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love it when KA leaves you a Comment?? I get excited for you 'cuz I just love KA!!! (Only flour I use - does that makes us KA snobs or just smart? Ha! Ha!)

Anonymous said...

I do, Barb - and Frank's been missing for ages! Happy to have him back!. I don't know where the fierce loyalty to King Arthur comes from, but I love the flour and especially love the label. I don't see either one of us as "snobs" - so I guess that makes us "smart" cooks!