All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Friday, March 27, 2009

warmed goat cheese with wilted greens



For a long time, I thought I didn't like goat cheese, but it turned out more to be age and brand that changed my mind. Fresh goat cheese from a good manufacturer is creamy ( especially when slightly warmed) and mild.
This is a fast and easy brunch or dinner, and it has a lovely combination of flavors and textures.
To make:
pasta of your choice
several fat slices of fresh goat cheese ( I used Ile de France)
baby spinach or regular spinach
arugula
sauteed mushrooms ( or you can use grape tomatoes)
fresh basil or oregano
freshly cracked pepper and salt to taste
good olive oil
Cook and drain the pasta .
Saute the sliced mushrooms in butter until nutty and brown.
Assemble on a plate or in a large pasta bowl:
Spread the pasta on the plate. Take two handfuls of the greens and arrange on top of the pasta.
Place two or three slices of goat cheese in the middle of the greens.
Sprinkle the mushrooms around the pasta and greens.
Toss a few leaves of basil or oregano on top, top with salt and pepper.
Warm for 1 1/2 minutes in a microwave and drizzle with good olive oil.
Serve and enjoy!
I think this also would be delicious with a few slices of juicy sausage - like the sage and chicken one I saw and forgot to buy. I would simmer the sausages, and then cut into chunks and arrange on the plates.

8 comments:

Martha said...

One of my favorite meals -- your pictures are beautiful!

Maria said...

What a tasty meal. So simple and so delicious!

Anonymous said...

Really, Martha? I shot them early in the morning when the light was still a little dim - glad you liked! And I'm new to this salad, but I think I'll make up for lost time - it's so easy - and so good! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Totally agree, Maria. For so long I thought all goat cheese was tart and a little sour, but it turned out not to be so of all goat cheeses. Live and learn!

Carolyn said...

Sounds really good. Love goat cheese, and always have greens around. Sounds like a nice, quick dinner.
If you get a chance, you should try some of the goat cheeses from Cypress Grove. Artisan goat cheese in multiple varieties. Really good, though quite expensive.

katrina said...

Ooooo, thanks, Carolyn! I'll look for the Cypress Grove, as well as more of the Ile de France - probably have to go to Brattleboro Food Coop in VT to get, though. I'm in the neglected, non-trendy part of NH. It really was an eyeopener, I must say, to taste this cheese - I had obviously been buying the wrong goat cheese before! You can bet I'll make this alot, from now on.

Kalyn Denny said...

I LOVE goat cheese, and I also notice I'm kind of a snob about it (like if people don't like goat cheese, I assume they really can't be very serious about food.) I do try to work on these character flaws, but jeez, who would not like goat cheese?

katrina said...

Well, Kalyn - I didn't like goat cheese for ages! I'd had some very sour goat cheese and it turned me off, so for years I went around thinking it was awful. Tasting this nice, creamy, fresh goat cheese was a revelation.