All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

quick and spicy mushroom soup





This is such a great soup - no fillers, just sauteed mushrooms with thyme and hot pepper flakes. You can rustle it up in about ten minutes, throw together a green salad , slice up a rustic bread and have a nice brunch/dinner on the table in under a half an hour.
To make:
4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
4 T. unsalted butter ( or olive oil, if you prefer, but butter is better)
4 cups chicken stock or broth
1/4 t. hot pepper flakes
2 t. thyme
salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste - or just place bottle on the table
Serves about 4 people, depending on bowl size
Melt the butter in a large skillet. Toss in the mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are browned and nutty.
Add the broth, hot pepper flakes, and thyme and stir well, scraping up the browned bits.
Using an immersion blender, or a regular blender, puree until smooth. Taste and add salt or pepper as wanted.
Pour into bowls and serve, topped with a little dill and a nicely browned mushroom.
Serves 4.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally filling and tasty, I'm sure! I love the simplicity of this one, Kat.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, me too - fast, easy, cheap, spicy. And great for the after oral surgery blues! Thanks, Donna!

Anonymous said...

Another delicious dish from your kitchen. Feeling better from the 'oral surgery blues'? I certainly hope so.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb! Still a little sore from stitches, but not too bad. I'm surprised how much I miss taking a nice big bite of something ! But for now, it's soup and polenta, I guess. Oatmeal. Mashed bananas. (baby food!)

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks good - I love mushroom soup!

Anonymous said...

oysterculture - isn't fresh mushroom soup just the best? Happy to see another mushroom lover!

NewWifey08 said...

My husband and I loved this! As I was cooking it, I was wondering really how good it could be. I used cilantro instead of thyme b/c that's what I had available. Turned out fabulous. Will have to triple the recipe next time though b/c it only made enough for 2 bowls. I already shared the recipe with my friends and family!

katrina said...

New Wifey - Delighted the recipe was a hit! It's a tribute to mushrooms that something so simple could be so delicious and quick to make, isn't it?
I am not a cilantro lover ( actually, thyme is my favorite herb, if I had to pick one) but it's good to know the cilantro meshed well with the mushrooms. Many thanks!

Katharyne said...

This looks realy yummy, I love mushrooms. I have a regular blender, should I let the soup cool, before blending?

katrina said...

Excellent point, Katharyne. Yes, do let it cool so the soup doesn't explode all over you! That's happened to me quite a lot in my lifetime! And if the mixture seems thick, just add a little water and blend again. Enjoy this wonderful soup!

NewWifey08 said...

Yes, def. let it cool. It exploded on me. Another suggestion, that has worked great, is after I stirfry the mushrooms, I just put the mushrooms in the blender and then add it to the broth that is heating on the stove. I pull out some whole slices as well and let them float in the soup. Adds more/different texture and I think it adds to the appearence as well. This is one of our favorites!!

katrina said...

Exactly what I do, NewWifey - love the gorgeous sauteed mushrooms on top of the somewhat thick mushroom soup. Isn't this the easiest mushroom soup you've ever made?

Katharyne said...

Thank you, I am going to give a try.

katrina said...

I think you'll love it, Katharyne!