All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, March 21, 2009

the humble egg



I am completely in love with eggs. Their shapes are so pleasing, so organic, so....Brancusi. And you can feast on everything from stuffed omelets to souffles, from chocolate mousse to these little hors d'oeuvres. They're inexpensive - even the best cage free, organic eggs run under $4. This is my favorite way to serve them fancied up.
In a saucepan, place however many eggs you need and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat a little, so the eggs aren't being overly boiled, which will produce a green rim around the yolk. Set timer for ten minutes.
Drain eggs and place back in saucepan. Cover with cold water, drain, cover again with cold water, and let sit for ten minutes. This insures the egg peels easily. If your eggs are under two days old, forget about hard boiling - it never works.
Slice off a tiny sliver of egg from the pointy end. This will enable the egg to sit on a plate without falling over . Cut a small slice from the larger end, and there will be your very pretty yolk. Pipe a little wasabi paste on the yolk, and top with a fern of fresh dill.
You can do lots of beautiful color combinations, too - from diced tomatoes to black or red caviar, from chopped herbs to chiles, minced olives - the list goes on. Have fun!
Featured on TasteSpotting!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exquisite! Precisely what I would enjoy anytime of day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Donna! I had two of these for breakfast - and is there anything easier for hors d'oeuvres?

Kalyn Denny said...

Love this idea! I'm a huge fan of wasabi, but never thought about how well that flavor would go with eggs. So pretty too!

Maria said...

Great photos! Love this idea!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Kalyn! And soooo much easier than making deviled eggs, isn't it? Though I have made eggs that way too, with wasabi and mayo.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Maria! I think it makes the eggs even prettier, and nothing is simpler to make...

Anonymous said...

I too, love the egg! I have 9 hens and reap the rewards of their efforts. I love this idea! What if one was to make deviled eggs with a wasabi twist and dill? Hummm... you've got me thinking. I did a post last year on eggs that I love to share. http://danazia.wordpress.com/2008/03/16/oh-the-mysterious-and-misunderstood-egg/
Great pictures too!
Dana Zia

Anonymous said...

Great ode to the egg, danazia! i think the whole worry about eggs and cholesterol can be avoided if one has their own flock, or seeks out suppliers who don't use commercial feed. I'm sure the wasabi & dill deviled eggs would be delicious, too - though it's a heck of a lot easier to just top an HB egg with them.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo and the wasabi paste sounds excellent with the eggs!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, 5-star! Have a fondness for hot sauce and wasabi, as you see.....it jazzes the humble egg up nicely, I think.

Martha said...

I do like eggs but cannot bring myself to eat them boiled! Yours are pretty and if any would tempt, those surely would!

Anonymous said...

Really, Martha? I am soooo glad I don't have your reservations, as I love soft boiled AND hard boiled eggs. I am so happy you were tempted to try them, because they are wonderful. Snipped fresh chives are another idea, for those whose snow has melted by now - which is not me.

Anonymous said...

I, too, love eggs! and this one is quite beautiful. (Not surprised that Tastespotting thought so too.)

What's the new camera and why don't you like it? or are you just getting used to it?

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Barb! I'm just getting used to the new Canon A560 and the change in framing a picture is radically different from my old Canon Powershot A60, which was not working well. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it, though I would like to go to a SLR digital at some point. I used to do a lot of black and white photography with a Nikon, and I think that affects the way I "see" photos. Liked the way this one worked out, so all is not hopeless!

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love eggs. I put them in the steamer. No green yolks. I still do the cold soak, though. And the wasabi is genius! As everyone else said, nice photo!

Anonymous said...

In the steamer, Carolyn? I've never heard of that, but I'm up for trying it! If you have a sec, I'd love your directions. And thanks for the kind words about the photos - all my love for the humble egg certainly shows!

Michelle said...

I have been cooking up a lot of our farm fresh eggs, and this is a nice new idea. I think I'll try it! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Delighted you enjoyed, Michelle! Oh, I envy you your fresh eggs & chickens - I'm sure you'll have fun making these!

Anonymous said...

the incredible edible egg!

:)

Anonymous said...

Egg-zackly. Namcy! :)