All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

in the garden and June walkabout








There is something about this particular June that makes me look longingly up the hills and over the glistening, lapping pond and lake water.  I know that feeling well, though it doesn't announce itself every year.  Walkabout.  That desire to head up the hills and mountains, or even better, kayaking over Nubanusit Lake.  To sit in the meadow and watch the fireflies and smell the scent of mint and lemon balm, wild carrot and daisies in the evening darkness.
If I were on the Cape, I would be collecting stones along the bayside, and picking rugosa roses and listening to the waves.  So if you don't hear from me for a bit, that's where I'll be - taking a timeout and thrilling in the season.  The kitchen can wait, for now.  Hope your day is as beautiful as mine!

4 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

If I were on the Cape..I would be doing very similar things..June is such a Cape month..
Alas..one more yr w/out it~

You even make Goutweed look good:)
I am fighting a losing battle..I used to call it Queen Anne's Lace 'till it overtook parts of my gardens..What a dichotomy!

katrina said...

Nana - I think that is wild carrot ( but not Queen Anne's Lace), because it smells heavenly of carrot - but yes, I'm afraid that mass of green is goat's weed. Still, it is pretty.

So right, that the Cape is a June month. Unfortunately, it is also a huge month for Lyme disease ticks, those tiny ones?

La Table De Nana said...

I know the damage ticks can do to people also:( Your blooms are lovely:)

katrina said...

Thanks, Nana! That yellow lily is a very sweetly scented native here, and sadly being crowded out by the blasted dogbane. As soon as it stops raining, I'm moving a few of the last holdouts into the front garden.