All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

kale with green olives and lemon slices



.

I'm going green .  Green for lazy moments under the canopy of leafy trees, for walks on mossy trails , for buying armloads of leafy greens and actually using them, instead of forgetting they're in the vegetable drawer.

I'm starting the day with a glass of juiced veg: dark, rich, delicious, clean.  Well, it's sometimes not delicious, as in when I put too much kale in the blend.  A little raw kale goes a long way in a smoothie.  But slightly cooked?  Amazing. I had this for a late breakfast today, and it was a wonderful change from frittatas and omelets.

It's funny how cooking goes.  Sometimes you just look at an ingredient and know instinctively what would mesh well with the flavors.  This morning, it was green olives, unfortunately not pitted, but so, so good.  A little olive oil, salt and pepper, and thin slices of lemon rounded it out.  


~ kale with green olives and lemon slices ~


about 3 cups torn, packed kale ( I usually throw in some of the stems because they're so full of kale-flavor)

about 3/4 cup water

10 large green olives, pitted or not

4 thin slices lemon

2 T. olive oil ( I used extra-virgin)

salt and fresh pepper

Add all to a heavy bottomed pot and bring to a simmer.

Cook gently, covered, for ten minutes.

Enjoy alone or with a nice poached egg on top.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Katrina-the buffalo were a BIG surprise to see in your last post. I imagine you were quite surprised the first time you saw them! I don't think you would expect buffalo in NH!! I'm curious, too, why and what the plan is for them?????

Seriously, you make it a very hard choice - healthy with the kale or brownies. Hmmmmm??? I do know how much we take good health for granted - until that good health is threatened. Okay, maybe jut a small taste of the brownie.

Happy Summer Solstice to you!!!

katrina said...

Barb - I'm still trying to find out, will keep you posted on those buffalo!
Brownies or kale. I was sooo good not eating the brownies, which I stuck in the freezer, but gave in lunchtime today. Hot & tired seems to make me loving that sugar & chocolate. Gosh, they're good:)
Stay cool - it was 96 degrees today and humid. Whew.