All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, September 25, 2010

devil's food chocolate espresso muffins



I remember my first encounter with cocoa powder as a child. Thinking it was sweetened chocolate powder, I dipped a spoon into the tin, drew it out heaping, and popped it into my mouth. ACK! Never again would I get cocoa mix and unsweetened cocoa powder confused.
Devil's food (also known as red velvet) muffins are light, airy, and not overly rich. Perfect for a library tea, yes? But as I stirred the batter I was thinking how perfect a touch of espresso flavoring might be, so I added both a little espresso instant, and some double-strong French Roast coffee, as well as semi sweet mini chocolate chips. And here they are: moist, flavorful muffins with a hint of coffee and chocolate and not a bit of butter. I used my heart tins, since my mini-muffin tin went missing - this made 10 muffins plus one muffin made in a ramekin .
Adapted from Muffins by Marie Simmons
2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
2 T. instant coffee or espresso powder
1 cup milk
1/3 cup double strong French Roast coffee
1/3 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 t. baking soda
pinch kosher salt
1 cup mini- chocolate chips, divided
Preheat oven to 350F,
Grease medium muffin tins.
In a mixer bowl, mix in the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and espresso or coffee powder.
In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, milk, coffee, canola oil, vanilla briefly, then add to the flour mix, mixing well.
Add half the mini chips to the batter and mix again.
Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with the rest of the mini chips.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the center of the muffin is slightly firm to the touch.
Let cool, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
Serve with milk, soymilk, or, why not? More coffee!


What I'm making:
Beautiful slow-roasted cherry tomatoes from Pinch My Salt!

10 comments:

donna said...

Those look delicious, Kat! Perfect for Valentines Day too! Your memory evoked one of my own: learning that baking chocolate wasn't for random munching either!

katrina said...

ACK again, Donna! Yuck. Unsweetened chocolate must have been a learning experience! Poor dear.......

donna said...

Kat, it was an unforgettable experience. I was young and though, of course, that it was just like a candy bar. Took a mouthful of a bite and...you can imagine.

katrina said...

Can I ever, Donna! Let us hope our children discover a chocolate delight in our pantry that's a little tastier:)

Barb said...

You are the Devil! These look devil-ishly delicious! (Have I mentioned I rather like chocolate? and doesn't coffee enhance the flavor of chocolate?) I've got to give these a try too.

How nice of your grocery store to call you re: pumpkin on the shelf. So is One Pie pumpkin better than Libby's? Can you tell any difference?

Gree said...

Yum, are those the ones you have made before? I am hoping you will do a guest post for me while we are in Colorado..specifically on either roast chicken or omelets or Portugese kale soup.

katrina said...

Hi Barb! Ah yes, I remember your passion for anything chocolate! These are fairly light and not half as rich as some of the choco treats I make, probably because the recipe doesn't use butter (BUTTER, oh how I love butter) but canola oil. Perfect for kids, and a less intensely chocolate dessert.
One Pie is simply a sentimental favorite, as it's New England based, and what I've always used. I think the unsweetened puree is probably the same no matter what canned pumpkin you buy and use.

katrina said...

Hello, Miss Gree! I think you're remembering the Mocha muffins I used to make (and you LOVED), which were full of butter and , I think, two kinds of chocolate plus coffee. These are a lot lighter and perfect treats for Izzie. I was surprised to find out that Devil's Food cake/muffins are the same as the Red Velvet cakes and muffins.
Would love to do a guest post!

Chef Fresco said...

Oh man, love these! So adorable!!

katrina said...

Hey, Michael and Jessi - glad you liked!