All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, September 18, 2010

saturday farmers market, hancock, nh












What a delight to have our local farmers market a half a mile away! I started this market in 1990, and it's still going strong, I'm happy to say - if anything, it's even better than it was in the old days. The vegetable selection is broad , clean, and lush. I spent a happy hour or so chatting with Robin from Red Maple Farm, and Susan from Moose Brook Farm, and collecting a breathtaking two-bags-full of fresh, tasty veggies, some of which were blanched and in the freezer within the hour. My fourteen dollars bought me:
a huge bunch of green swiss chard
a bag of beet greens
a bag of arugula
a sugar pumpkin
two patty pan squashes
fresh green cabbage
hot peppers
fresh onions and garlic
a bag of gorgeous spinach
and a free jaw dropping look at Robin's 8 inch yellow dahlia.
(no charge for the conversation)
Enjoy!




6 comments:

Sonia said...

Wonderful! I hope you post this to the I love farmers markets group at Gather!

La Table De Nana said...

Such pretty pictures:)

katrina said...

Whoops, Sonia - I forgot again:)

katrina said...

Nana - how wonderful to hear from you! Hope your break went well - delighted you enjoyed our little farmers market!

Barb said...

Gorgeous photos (as usual!) and that dahlia is so beautiful!! When we first moved into this house there were some dahlias and I ripped them out. I didn't know what they were then - what a dummy, huh?

Congratulations to you on starting such a wonderful farmer's market 20 years ago. You should be so proud that it has continued and flourished.

katrina said...

Hi Barb! Until you said it, I didn't even realize our farmers market was 20 years old! I guess I get so distracted by taking pictures of food, and mulling over recipes in my head I just space on life reality:)

I've come to really like dahlias, even though I thought they were very stiff looking when I first saw them. Robin said she pulls her dahlia plants (bulbs?) every Fall and replants in the Spring, and every year they get bigger and bigger.