All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

turkeyball soup with green cabbage and thyme



Now that we're starting to see the first fresh green cabbages at the farmer's markets, I thought this would be a good time to revist and update one of my most popular posts: turkeyball soup with fresh cabbage and thyme. Why it's been in the top ten recipes since I first published it in January of 2009, I have no idea, except it's a wonderful soup!
This is a modest update of the recipe. It's still a delightful herby broth with a little rice, thyme, parsley, and rosemary and tender meatballs of turkey - now with a little minced onion and mushroom. You can slice the fresh cabbage either thinly (bottom photo) or thicker (top). You can make huge meatballs, or little teeny ones, but the result will always be one delicious soup, perfect for the chilly evenings of September.
Makes 4 servings.

For the turkeyballs:
1 pound ground turkey
2 mushrooms, finely minced
1 T. olive oil
1 T. minced parsley
2 T. minced onion
1 1/2 t. thyme, fresh or dried
pinch kosher salt
Mix the ingredients well in a bowl, then form into small meatballs. Set aside.
For the soup:
~
3 cups water
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 t. thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 T. uncooked rice ( any kind)
half a green cabbage, cored and cut into thin or thick ribbons.
( about 3-4 handfuls of cabbage)
the turkey meatballs
~
Heat the water, chicken broth, rice, and rosemary sprigs in a large saucepan. Turn the heat to medium low and add the thyme and cabbage. Simmer for five minutes, then carefully place the turkeyballs on top of the cabbage. Turn heat to low and cover. Cook for ten minutes, then take off heat and let sit, covered, for another 10 minutes.
~
Uncover soup and gently stir, tasting to see if it needs more salt, pepper, or thyme.
Serve with a nice crusty sourdough bread and enjoy!

















7 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I think I'm in the mood for fall food; this looks really good to me!

katrina said...

Hey, Kalyn - glad to hear you're sharing the "welcome, Autumn" mood I'm in right now! Days can be in the 80's or 90's, but nights - ahhhh. Cool and lovely. Delighted you enjoyed this lovely soup.

Barb said...

Just curious, but what recipes are in your "top 10"? I don't think I could choose just ten - so many of your recipes are soooo delicious.

Now I'm going to give this one a try - looks yummy and perfect for blissfully cool weather (what a relief!!!)

katrina said...

Hi Barb! Here's the countdown:

3 minute microwave chocolate cake
lemon poppyseed muffins
dense, dark, fresh raspberry brownies
fine sucres crepes
roast chicken with tarragon sauce
turkeyball soup
ooey-gooey cheesecake brownies
soft pumpkin cookies
courgettes rapees zucchini

The missing one is the general search, I believe. It switches around, but turkeyball soup is always there! Crazy:)

I'm loving this weather, too!

Susan said...

Hi Katrina,
I tried this soup tonight - FANTASTIC.
Thanks,
Susan

katrina said...

Glad you liked, Susan! I looked for you last visit to the market, but didn't find you - too bad! This soup is such a lovely way to use those fresh cabbages! I also love it briefly steamed or simmered with a little butter, yum, yum!

Susan said...

Sorry you missed me at the market - must have been the Saturday I was on vaca. The fall veggies are great I am picking spinach now and it is soooo tender better than spring spinach I think.
See you soon I hope.
Susan