All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

baby toffee shortbread cookies







You can tell it's edging toward autumn when you have to dodge heaps of fallen apples from the ancient now-wild apple trees. Or when you go completely overboard when reading your friend Farmgirl's recipe for her Baby Shortbread Bites with toffee and chocolate chips. Yes indeed, like the bears, I guess I'm storing up fat for winter. Maybe I can blame it on the recent 5 hours I spent at the hospital, finding out about a back problem I didn't know I had. Whichever we choose, my response to her description of buttery, toffee-flecked mini cookies sent me straight into the kitchen. Her recipe called for both toffee bits AND mini chocolate chips, but I stayed with just the toffee , though I did drizzle some chocolate on some of the cookies.
Yummy, yum, yum!
Here's how to make your own:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Line two baking sheets with foil, shiny side up.
Makes 44 or more mini cookies.
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
2 cups King Arthur flour
1 1/2 cups toffee bits OR 3/4 c . mini-chocolate chips and 3/4 toffee bits
Cream the butter and confectioner's sugar well.
Add the vanilla and salt and mix.
Add the flour and mix until incorporated well.
Mix in the toffee bits ( or the toffee and chocolate chips).
Using a small, 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop, scoop balls of dough onto the cookie sheets.
(Note: I always bake cookies one sheet at a time, upper third of the oven)
Bake for 17 minutes, remove to cool.
If you want to drizzle a little chocolate on them, melt some chocolate chips with a little vegetable shortening, microwave about 2 minutes or more, til chocolate is smooth and melted when stirred with a spoon. Dip a fork into the chocolate and drizzle on top of cookies.
Thanks, Farmgirl Susan!




8 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Katrina~ I saw this recipe on Farmgirl too and thought it might be just about perfect. I haven't had a chance to make it yet though, but I plan on it soon.

Your cookies look like they turned out beautifully (as usual) - I think they are just what the doctor ordered!

Don't you love Farmgirl Susan's site? I'm pretty sure that's where I discovered your site - lucky for me!

katrina said...

Pretty sure, Barb, that Farmgirl Susan connected us, and I'm so happy for that! I just love keeping up with her beautiful land, farm, and all those animals - not to mention her recipes and delicious chard and arugula! So - lucky us, yes!

Martha said...

These sound yummy and anythng mini is great!

katrina said...

I agree, Martha - love these little button cookies!

Amanda said...

Katrina, I always love seeing that picture at the top of your blog :)

These cookies look great. Aren't we all storing fat for winter? LOL

katrina said...

Thanks, Amanda! there's been some discussion of making that picture smaller and not quite as fuzzy ( it's a photo of a photo - not even scanned!), but I'm so happy you like it even as it is. I'm always amazed as I look back at my life how involved I was with food and cooking - even if it means an extra layer of fat:)

lisaiscooking said...

These sound incredible! Dangerous even. I really should not bake these!

katrina said...

Definitely dangerous, lisa! I solve that problem by giving most of the cookies away to some very appreciative folks! (and tucking it away for Christmas goodie giving)