All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

blueberry scones with lemon curd dipping sauce



You know me - I'm crazy about scones. So when I came across Steamy Kitchen's recipe for sour cream blueberry scones ( with a lemon curd "glaze"), I had to try it.
Were they tender? Oh yes. Lovely golden mouthfuls of delicious scone, and dipping them into the lemon curd really made them sizzle. I loved the way they puffed up into pillowy, pretty, pastries - so I hope you'll give them a try. I'm sure you'll agree!
Recipe from Steamy Kitchen:
For the lemon curd:
3 lemons
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
4 T. unsalted butter
Zest one lemon ( she says to zest all of them, but I don't like that much zest in my curd) into a saucepan.
Roll the lemons on a board firmly, then juice them and add to the saucepan.
Add the eggs and sugar and whisk away on medium heat - but be careful not to let it boil, or the eggs will curdle.
When the mixture is hot and bubbling, whisk in the butter and turn heat to low. Continue to stir for about 6-10 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the scones:
This made 13 scones, using an ice cream scoop
3 cups King Arthur flour
1 1/2 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3 T. sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, cut in pieces & softened
2 cups sour cream
1/2 t. vanilla
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries ( if using frozen, toss in a teaspoon of flour to coat them)
Preheat oven to 350F.
Line 2 baking sheets with foil or parchment.
Mix the dry ingredients together.
Cut in the softened butter and mix until butter is mixed well.
Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix gently.
Fold in the blueberries, or knead in gently.
Using a regular ice cream scoop , scoop up dough and place on baking sheet - 6 to a sheet. You'll have to space the second sheet, since it made 7 scoops of dough.
Bake 30 minutes or until the scones are golden brown and light when picked up.
Serve hot with the lemon curd. Yummy!

9 comments:

Maria said...

I am a scone fanatic too! Can't wait to try these with the sour cream. Interesting!

katrina said...

The sour cream made for a really tender scone, Maria. I'd like to give it a try with buttermilk, or Greek yogurt ( Jaden says she substitutes that all the time instead of sour cream). While scones are oh so delicious, they were REALLY tough to photograph. I have no idea why, but consider 36 shots to be just a LEEDLE excessive:) Thanks!

SteamyKitchen said...

fantastic! Thanks for trying the recipe.

katrina said...

Hey, Jaden ( Steamy Kitchen)! I loved this take on scones - and the lemon curd was the best I've made yet! Thanks for taking a peek - and I sure wish I was the photographer you are:)

La Table De Nana said...

They look wonderful! I love the little silver curd cup too.

Chef Fresco said...

I love your curd dipping sauce! What a nice addition.

katrina said...

Hello Chefs! Surprised you had time to comment,considering the wedding and umpty-ump a gazillion things to keep track of! Best and blessings to you both, and thanks so much for stopping by!

J Rodney said...

Anything lemon will sit well with me, and I too love that you added sour cream to these. I would love to live next door to you:)

katrina said...

FrugalMom - oh, I'd have such fun with you and your crew if you were next door! Maybe it would be easier for me to move to Florida:)
Delighted you enjoyed these- the sour cream really makes anything more tender, and the lemon...well, all of us lemon lovers will be eating that lemon curd with a spoon!