All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, September 19, 2009

fresh apple gingerbread




Today's post is a completely local one, I'm happy to say. The apples were picked at the local orchard, and the recipe comes from another cooking friend in town. The orchard has only a few varieties, but their Macintoshes are outstanding - crisp, sharp, juicy - and huge.
The apple gingerbread is what I consider to be a "snacking cake" - perfect for hungry kids, as well as just about anyone else. No frosting is needed, but a spoonful of softly whipped cream or a dusting of confectioner's sugar will dress it up if you feel it needs it. You can also make and freeze while the apples are fresh, as we sneak closer to holiday season. Very moist, and just the right amount of spicy.
Adapted from a recipe by Nancy Adams
To make:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Grease a 9 inch x 2 inch cake pan.
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
3 T. molasses
2 large eggs
2 cups King Arthur flour
1 t. ginger
1/4 t. cloves
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
4 T. minced candied ginger (optional)
1 cup packed grated fresh apple
3/4 cup buttermilk (changed from 1 cup because the apples were so juicy!)
1 t. baking soda
Beat together the sugar, molasses, canola oil, and salt.
Mix in the eggs .
Add the flour, spices, and baking soda, and mix until incorporated.
Add the apples and buttermilk, and the minced ginger.
Bake for about an hour, or until the cake is firm in the center when you gently press it.
Remove to baking rack and let cool in pan at least a half hour.
Run a dull knife around the cake, then flip out of pan onto cooling rack.
Serve good sized slices alone, or with a dusting of confectioner's sugar or some whipped cream.



20 comments:

PheMom said...

Thanks for letting me know! I really can't wait to try making this. It looks so good!

lululu said...

oh, i'm one of the hungry kids!
would definitely hv it with vanilla ice-cream!

katrina said...

Thanks for prodding me, PheMom! Love this cake - and it whips up in no time, which we all appreciate. Enjoy!

katrina said...

:) lululu! Oh, vanilla ice cream would be delicious - how could I forget that? Delighted you enjoyed!

lisaiscooking said...

Sounds fantastic! The apples must make the gingerbread moist and tasty.

katrina said...

Thanks, Sophie and Lisa : is it moist&tasty, or tasty&moist:) It's both, baked up beautifully, with that hint of ginger and fresh apple. Made 3 batches in 2 days already for sharing....

kellypea said...

The only local apples we have are up in the mountains here. There's a big festival each year and an old fashioned pie store that sells great pies. I know I'd love this. Plain gingerbread is okay, but the apples? Oh my ; )

katrina said...

Well,Kelly, there are times I'd trade off living situations with you, but I sure do love New England's apple trees!
I love gingerbread, too, but I find this is even better, perhaps because it's so moist, maybe. Hints of apple are always good, too. Hope you grab some apples at the festival so you can try this!

Chef Fresco said...

Looks so delicious!!

Jamie said...

Just had to say, great recipe. I was looking for something different to make since its the first day of fall and this couldn't be more perfect for us. I just put in the oven my whole apartment smells like heaven. awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

katrina said...

Oh my goodness, so it is the first day of Autumn! You're absolutely right that this cake ushers in the season of cinnamon, apples, pumpkins, and baking. So delighted you're making it!

bubbles101 said...

I think this recipe needs to be corrected--the buttermilk is added 2x, and the oil not at all--? that said, it did come out delicious!

katrina said...

Bubbles - thank you for pointing out the 2x buttermilk. I had corrected the (canola) oil ( which had gone missing 2 weeks ago), but not the two buttermilk mentions. I must have been rushing, but that's no excuse. So sorry!

Alicia said...

The photograph of the tree is absolutely amazing!
I'm from Iowa, and it looks like something we'd see here :)
I'm interested in local foods, to, so check out my blog if you're interested.

katrina said...

Hi Alicia - glad you enjoyed the tree - and the apple gingerbread is wonderful!
Congrats on your Etsy food store; it's a terrific idea!

Farmgirl Susan said...

Hi Kat,
I'm so glad you linked to this recipe in your recent Halloween treat post - I can't believe I missed it the first time around. I love gingerbread and really love the idea of adding the fresh apple. :)

Just one question - what size pan do you use when you make it in a square?

Thanks! xoxo

katrina said...

Hey Fig! Glad you liked this - I sure do:)
The 9 x 2 inch is part of a wedding cake set I LOVE - sturdy and with a nice rolled lip. If you use an 8x8 square, I'm not sure if there might be a little too much batter. I would add batter up to 3/4ths of the pan, and make a little cupcake in a souffle dish with the rest. I also made this in a nice 9x13 pan, and I think I made a recipe and a half for that. Now that ALL my 9x13 pans have disappeared, I can't tell you for sure - sorry. Hope that answers your question, rambling as it is:)

Farmgirl Susan said...

Thanks, Kat. I'll try it in a 9x9. :)

Anonymous said...

I tweaked the recipe and added freshly grated ginger and orange zest to my batter...in addition to a whopping TB of pure HOMEMADE vanilla extract!...needless to say, it was fantastically delicious!

she's in the kitchen said...

Oh, Anon - that sounds WONDERFUL! Thanks for sharing your "new" recipe for this!