All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, September 13, 2009

tomato pie and sweet potatoes with rosemary


Pardon the long delay between posts - somehow I wrenched my back on Thursday, and it's been, well, a wee bit uncomfortable to sit at the computer. I pray tomorrow the orthopedist can figure out what went wrong and wave her magic wand. I wouldn't say I'm wussy about pain, but these last few days have been a challenge. (UNDERSTATEMENT)
This morning, I celebrated being able to stand by making a lovely tomato pie with spinach and basil for brunch, along with some sauteed sweet potatoes with sweet onions, bacon (optional), and fresh rosemary . Call it a getting-to-the-end-of-fresh-herb-season celebration! I know fresh herbs are available pretty much year round now in the supermarkets - but I swear they taste five times better straight out of the herb garden, don't they?
I suppose you could call the pie a quiche, but it's 1) crustless, and 2) has half the cheese I would put in a quiche, so voila! Tomato pie it is.
I used a 12" metal tart pan for this, but you could use a glass pie plate if you don't have a large tart pan.
To make:
Preheat oven to 330F. ( 325 is a little low for my oven, and 350 too high)
Butter or grease the pie pan you're using.
1 large tomato, sliced
1/2 large sweet onion, sliced
1 cup fresh spinach, destemmed and very thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
1 cup grated sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese - I use Cabot.
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 extra large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
Arrange the onion and tomato slices in the bottom of the pie pan.
Mix the eggs, milk, cream and salt and pepper together well.
Add the cheddar, spinach , and basil in and mix well, again.
Pour into the pie pan and bake for around 50 minutes, or until the mixture is slightly puffed and firm in the very center.
Remove pie to a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
Sweet Potatoes with rosemary, onion, and bacon
2 T. olive oil
1 T. unsalted butter (optional)
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into uniform chunks.
2 T. fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 sweet onion, large dice
salt and pepper
1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
Heat the oil and optional butter in a skillet. Add the sweet potatoes, onion, rosemary, bacon, and salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for ten minutes.
Turn heat to low, cover, and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Serve and enjoy!


17 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I hope you feel better soon..I hate when a glitch makes us not up to our usual par:(
I then feel guilty feeling bad when others have far worse....but nonetheless..It really is uncomfortable and incapacitating~
Your meal looks delish and celebratory w/ all the colors..I love the sweet potato and rosemary and onion and bacon~Take care..Get well soon~

Kalyn Denny said...

Oh boo, sorry to hear about the back. I've hurt my back a few times, and I know how it can really limit what you want to do. Glad you're getting it looked at.

katrina said...

Thank you for your kind words, Nana and Kalyn! Pain like that ( it's slightly better today) has me saying very bad words as I try to find a comfortable position. All I hope for is to find out why it happened, and strengthen whatever muscle is needing it - it was much, much worse than even after my knee surgery 4 years ago. So let's hope for a speedy recovery & a more cheerful Katrina!

Jennifer said...

Oh no, I do hope you feel well soon!
This is such a lovely meal... and rosemary pairs so well with sweet potatoes! yum!

katrina said...

Many thanks, Jennifer. I just got word of my appointment tomorrow , early, so I'll feel a whole lot better once I know what's going on. Glad you enjoyed this simple brunch!

lululu said...

i love quiche! and yours look delish!
like the combination of sweet potato and rosemary too!
hope your back will get better soon! take care!

katrina said...

Thanks for the kind words, lululu and Sophie, and for enjoying the little Sunday brunch! I truly hope today brings some explanation for this slowly improving back situation....

My Peace Of Food said...

Wow, both of those dishes look fabulous and you now have me craving that pie. I've gotta try it!

Chef Fresco said...

Both look great! I just recently tried my first tomato pie - those things are delicious!

Barb said...

Oh, Katrina, I do hope you are feeling better now! Are you on the mend? Any ideas what caused this pain? Get well soon!

katrina said...

Gourmet -yes, you have to try it! Such a lovely thing to have in the fridge to heat up for lunch or supper - enjoy!

katrina said...

Hi Chefs! Yes, indeed to the Tomato Pie! It's so very different from a quiche, isn't it? I've also had a tomato pie with a crust and tons of cheddar, along with the basil and tomatoes ( more than I used here) and that was also delicious.

katrina said...

Oh Barb - nice to see you. Spent yesterday at the hospital and the problem seems to be five compressed discs in my lower back. I start rehab/exercise next week, with the immediate goal to avoid surgery right now. This throws my life into a whole new gear, with many changes probably necessary. Life is never dull, is it?

Barb said...

Hi again! Wow! Five compressed discs! - I can only imagine how this impacts your life!! I will be thinking about you and I truly hope exercise & rehab help you feel better. Keep us posted.

katrina said...

Thanks, Barb. It sure explains why I've been so uncomfortable - I'm hoping to work very hard on getting better - without surgery or pain meds.

lisaiscooking said...

This sounds like a great brunch! Love the spinach in the tomato pie. Hope you're feeling better!

katrina said...

Thanks, lisa! I try to sneak greens into many of my recipes - especially the soups and quichey type things.....Pasta, yup, that too!

First PT appointment is Monday so I'll feel better just knowing I'm getting the right exercises. Thanks for your kind words....