All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, November 29, 2009

scallion pancakes on a sparkling morning



What a sparkling day in New Hampshire! As the sun peeked through the trees at seven this morning, I couldn't resist a quick walk down to the pond near my house. I'm happy I did, because it was beautiful - the early sun danced on the still water , looking like a field of diamonds.
When I got back, I was starving, so I made up these little 3 inch scallion pancakes and topped them with softly scrambled eggs and dill. Lots of savory herbs in a protein packed breakfast - what could be more delicious?
To make:
Makes about 10 tiny pancakes
3/4 cup flour
1 large egg
2 T. minced parsley
2 T. sliced scallions
1/8 t. baking powder
2/3 cup milk
2 pinches of salt
Whisk together until smooth, then let sit for a few minutes to blend.
Wipe a crepe pan or skillet with vegetable oil and heat to medium.
Place about a tablespoon of batter in the hot pan, let cook about 1-2 minutes, then flip.
Cook other side 1-2 minutes, then remove to plate.
Continue until batter is gone.
Top with softly scrambled eggs seasoned with tarragon or dill.

10 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

They are as cute as can be:)

Well it is..

And I know those crisp days.. I feel it:)

Martha said...

These look yummy -- and I may just try them soon.

We've been off on a cruise for our 40th and have just gotten back. I'm catching up on your posts. (Didn't want to pay the $$$$ for shipboard internet).

katrina said...

Nana - it was around 40 degrees (F), clear, sunny, refreshing - with no wind. Is there magic dust in days like that?

katrina said...

Oh, how wonderful, Martha! Happy 40th! Where did you sail to?

Barb said...

Lucky Martha! Hope she had a great time! I want to know where she sailed to, too!

Love the woods photo and the scallion pancakes make me want to get out my fork - yummmmm!

Happy to read you had a happy holiday - mine was very low key and very enjoyable (only four at dinner - pretty small crowd (crowd??) but very nice - and waaay to much food!

katrina said...

So delighted your Thanksgiving was also wonderful, Barb! And too much food? NEVER! I always spend the day after Thanksgiving giving away leftovers to all the folks that didn't have them. Smart idea, especially when I'm (slowly) losing a few of those pounds I've been cranky about.

J Rodney said...

They sound and look fantastic!

I have been playing around with my pancake recipes to include herbs and veggies, and so far the boys love having pancakes for dinner.

katrina said...

That's great, FrugalMom! I'd love to know how you serve them - I doubt scallion pancakes would go over very well alone....

Michelle said...

What a beautiful dish and I love the mini pancakes, they could be used for so many things.

katrina said...

You are so right, Michelle! While the scallion pancakes are not crisp, they do hold up well - so one could think appetizers, right?

Glad you enjoyed, and thanks!