All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

thanksgiving countdown: simple cakes




















There's always someone who doesn't like the pumpkin pie. For those people, and for extra rations for company, I've included several unfrosted cakes that can be made ahead and frozen. The silly 3-minute microwave cake-in-a-cup is included , simply as entertainment for the kids. It's not bad, either, especially if you drizzle a little chocolate sauce on top after it comes out of the microwave.

From the top, there's the lovely spiced Pumpkin Cake with sugared ginger, then the Orange-Scented Olive Oil cake, and then my current favorite, Fresh Apple Gingerbread.






8 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Pumpkin Cake w/ Sugared Ginger? Sold!!:)

katrina said...

Yay! That's a winner, as are the other two. Make the fresh apple gingerbread at LEAST once a week for friends in need of a little something.....Nana, I hope you enjoy every spicy bite!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

What wonderful "simple" cakes,,,love the idea of freezing them to serve later!

Barb said...

Your food looks sooo good! It would just be easier (at least for me! ha!ha!) if I could just come to your house for dinner. Would you mind a couple extra?

I guess I better get busy baking a few things, huh?

katrina said...

Hee hee, Barb. Plenty of room ( I think!) - Thanksgiving plans are still up in the air, as usual. I've announced I'm doing Turkey Day, and let all the kids work out their end.
Don't you just LOVE holiday baking? I sure do......

katrina said...

Oops, Carrie - missed you there! Much as I love our loaded-with-frosting carrot cake, these simple cakes are just perfect for giving, snacking, teatime. And having one or two in the freezer is a lifesaver during the holidays! So happy you enjoyed these!

lisaiscooking said...

These all look tempting! And, now I want some gingerbread cake.

katrina said...

Hi lisa! And I want some of your apple-cranberry crumble!
That fresh apple gingerbread comes together quickly, and I always make sure I sneak some pieces into the freezer for surprise company. It stays beautifully moist, too.
Thanks for coming by!