All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, December 23, 2012

gingerbread stars and a proposal

What a day, what a day!  I started by making a huge batch of gingerbread cookie dough,  finished the wrapping, wobbled through the odds and ends of this beautiful holiday season..... and the day has ended with a huge and happy surprise.  My son and his girlfriend are engaged.  Shockarooney, and I couldn't be happier.  What a joy, and congratulations to them both!  I am thrilled.  And what a beautiful season to start a new life together.  Just call me over the moon:)






Cold, and icy here, so I avoided the usual walk - a little snow, but mostly ice.  Stars sparkling, moon shining, and a heave of relief that I'm ready for my favorite day of Christmas.  I hope you are all winding down and relaxing, finally!  The kitchen smells of ginger and cloves, and I've wrapped up six bags of gingerbread stars, my very favorite part of this holiday.

This makes dozens of small cookies.

Gingerbread Stars

First, make the dough.


11 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 t. ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg
3/4 cup molasses
3 cups King Arthur all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder

Cream the butter, then add brown sugar, spices, and salt.

Add the egg, mix, then add the molasses.

Add the dry ingredients - the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.

Mix until it forms a ball, pat into a disc, and place in fridge for an hour.

Line two baking sheets with clean foil or parchment paper.
Preheat oven to 350F.

Cutting dough into three pieces, place each third on a floured board and roll out.

Cut into cookies and place on prepared baking sheet.

Bake cookies for 7 minutes (depending on size - 7 minutes is for medium cookies).

Remove to cool, and bake second and third sheets of cookies, cooling as needed.

Package in cello bags, tied with gold curly ribbon - I don't ice these, as I love them plain.

Happy almost-Christmas!








4 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

Dear Over The Moon~
Happy for you..That's a gift:)

Warm Wishes.

Barb said...

Katrina, what a joyful and delightful surprise for you! Best wishes and congratulations to everyone! Obviously, you had a wonderful Christmas - as it should be. I am so happy for your son and fiancé and, always, for you!!!

katrina said...

LOL, Nana:) Thank you!

katrina said...

Thank you, Barb! It is always a delight when two people find each other, but even more so when it's one of your children ......

So happy that both my son and daughter have found such joy this year!