All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Saturday, December 8, 2012

on the first day of Christmas....Stuart Little and spice cookies



For me, Christmas begins when the tree goes up.  And so, today is the first day of Christmas!  There is always a joy, lots of memories, and the peace of sitting next to the tree, remembering bits and bobs of all those years.  Did I tell you about Stuart Little?  He's always the first to go on the tree, and I panic if I can't find him.  He's the memory of my father, reading Stuart Little to me.  I always hope my love for E.B. White and Stuart are firmly embedded in my two children, and my grandchildren.  His adventurous spirit has led him to riding this canoe down the chilly river - who knows where he'll end up?







Today I made these delicious Spice cookies, beloved year round, but especially at this time of year: boxes for sending, cello bags for giving to neighbors, and setting aside plenty enough for me to nibble on.  The smallest spring-loaded scoop I have is 1 1/4", if you go even smaller, they can be spice buttons.


Spice cookies:

This makes about 3 dozen cookies:

Preheat oven to 350F.
Fit two or three baking sheets with clean foil or parchment.

2 1/2 cups King Arthur flour
1 t. baking soda
pinch kosher salt
2 t. cinnamon
2 t. cloves
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 t. ginger
1 cup sugar plus a little more for sprinkling
1/2 cup light olive oil or canola oil
1/3 cup molasses
3 T. water
1 large egg

Mix flour, spices, salt, and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.

In mixer bowl, mix sugar, olive oil or canola, molasses and mix.  Add the egg and water and mix again.

Add the flour and spice mix in 3 or 4 batches to the oil mixture , mix until it comes together.  Using a scoop, or your hands, plop balls of dough onto the baking sheet, about 2-3 inches apart. Sprinkle with sugar if desired. Slide the first baking sheet on the upper third rack in the oven, bake for 11 minutes, remove to a cooling rack, and slide the next rack in until all the cookies are baked.

Package in cello bags or boxes lined with wax paper, but make sure they have completely cooled first.  These are sturdy cookies, so perfect for mailing.

Merry greetings of the season!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you on your first day of Christmas. I can smell those spices from here.

La Table De Nana said...

Happy Holidays Katrina..It's a pleasure for me to see your Stuart:)and hear of is history for you.

katrina said...

Thank you Nana and Donna! I think we all share a love for the Christmas season, good food, and our children and grandchildren ! I am in good company:)

diary of a tomato said...

Love the idea of spice buttons — must make!

katrina said...

Dear Diary - Have you seen those shortbread "buttons" on Pinterest, I think? Pretty! These spread just the tiniest bit, and I was thinking cutting out "buttons" with a large pastry tip might work? They would be nice and crunchy, I think, but won't look exactly like buttons.