All content copyright Katrina Hall 2008 through 2025

Sunday, December 9, 2012

on the second day of Christmas... sweets!





These little houses are teeny tiny, and made of a featherweight material , easily bent, but treasured.  My father's mother died when I was a month old, so we never met, but I was told she made Christmas villages under the tree, and I assume these were some of them.  And what else did we get excited about at Christmas?  CANDY!

Ribbon candy is made right in Massachusetts, my home state.  It's the prettiest candy you can imagine as a child, and shattering the "ribbon" is half the fun.  Marzipan has always been a favorite treat, though not half as intricate today as the marzipan you could get in New York City when I was a child.  I remember being taken to a fantastical German candymaker's store with the most delicate and lifelike fruits you could imagine.  And the foil covered chocolate coins were always in our stockings, along with the orange .

Carrying on the tradition with my own children always reminded me of my own childhood, and my parents and siblings , but also brought a little bit of magical fairy dust into Christmas Day.  What are your traditions at Christmas?


4 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

I bet she did make that one:-)
I remember ribbon candy:-)
And love your state.
Your tree is so sweet..more please:-)
You should see the prove you are not a robot..if I get through it will be a Christmas feat:-)

katrina said...

Nana - more coming, if only to please me and remind me of many delightful Christmas mornings:) Thank you for stopping in, and look forward to YOUR memories in Canada with your dear family!

ps/ No prove you are not a robot! It must be good vibes....

Barb said...

I love seeing your treasured ornaments and reading about your Christmas memories - very charming. I look forward to more!

Thanks so much for sharing them with us!

katrina said...

Thanks for your very kind comments, Barb - you are very good to humor me with my wandering down memory lane!